Friday, 8 April 2011

Question 7!

We did encounter lots of problems with our film, starting off with timing and organisation. We only had the opportunity to film on one day for a couple of hours, not leaving us enough time to get the job properly done, and left us with only half the amount of shots that we were supposed to be. A lot of the camera shots were shaky and the wrong way around, causing lots of problems in the editing and the continuity of the whole thing, leaving us with a few jump cuts and shorter clips that what was intended, if I were to do this task again I would strongly consider changing some shots so we could use a tripod instead of holding it in our hands, making the shots a lot more steady, and I would also concentrate on allowing more time for us to actually complete the task.

To attempt to make this situation better I added in a lot of transitions and effects, such as the 'peephole' effect and simply fading in and out, making the whole thing run smoother and look more realistic than if I were to simply leave it as shaky jump-cuts. We didn't break the 180 degree rule, though I noticed a continuity error in that it cuts between two different areas in the chase scene, something I would aim to change if I had the opportunity to repeat myself. I think our shot reverse shot was effective in that when Dan aimed his gun at Tom and we got a reaction shot, we didn't break the 180 degree rule and it showed what the characters were feeling.

The match on action shot we included was when Dan cocked his gun. I also added a slow motion effect in to make the shot more obvious, as well as to add tension, which I think worked really well.

I know that if I were to repeat myself, I would add more of a diversity of shots as well as make the editing smoother and a lot more fast paced, as the soundtrack often overtook what was actually going on in the film.

No comments: